Memphis Noir Circle Skirt
Still trying to keep things simple I made another skirt - this time though a circle skirt. I chose Butterick 6167 from my pattern stash, it only has 3 pieces so couldn't be that difficult! Cutting it out proved to be one of the most difficult parts - although there are only 3 pattern pieces the two skirt pieces are big. I ended up cutting it out on my living room floor. After stay stitching the top of the front and back pieces to prevent stretching it was just a matter of sewing up the side seams leaving the left side open at the top for the zip.
Next up was to get the zip in - I don't think I've ever managed to get a zip in properly first time. I usually have to unpick and resew at least twice but this one went in well. One of the best zips I've ever fitted I think so it deserves a nice big photo!
The next step was to fit the waistband,
The last step was to hem the bottom. I learnt something really interesting here. The pattern instructions said to make a row of gathering stitches (just very big normal sewing stitches) close to the bottom edge of the fabric. Then turn up the skirt hem to the desired length. Then this is the bit I'd never seen before - I had to pull up the gathering stitches to gather the extra fabric in so that it could be neatly hemmed. Once the gathering was evened out binding tape was stitched around the gathered edge to hold the gathers in place then the hem could be neatly hand-stitched. That description is probably really difficult to follow, so here is another photo that I hope illustrates it better.